1973 San Diego Comic-Con Photos: Can You Identify People in the Pictures?

January 28, 2010

I have been scanning some of San Diego Comic-Con Founder Shel Dorf’s old film negatives. (I received the negatives from Shel’s friend and cartooning partner Charlie Roberts.) Below you will find a batch of his color pictures from the 1973 Comic-Con. I’ve identified people in photos where I was reasonably certain of their identities. Also Bill Lund (San Diego Comic-Con Chairman in 1973 and 1974), with an assist from Jean Graham, was able to identify a number of others.

Some of the professional guests pictured are Neal Adams, Bob Clampett, June Foray, Mike Friedrich, Carmine Infantino, Jack Kirby, Bernie Lansky, Mike Royer, and Larry “Seymour” Vincent. Comic-Con committee members pictured include Barry Alfonso, William Caron, Shel Dorf, Vicky Kelso, Ken Krueger, Bill Lund, Bill Schanes, and Steve Schanes.

Where I was uncertain of a name, I just put down a question mark. If you would like to help identify these people in the pictures, so that the question marks can be replaced with names, please leave a comment or send me a message by clicking on the “CONTACT” tab at the top. I’ve numbered the pictures C01-C41 so you can easily specify which picture(s) you can identify people in.

UPDATE 10/11/2013: – Thanks to Allen Kracalik for identifying Tom McGeehan in pictures c28 & C29.

UPDATE 09/13/2012: – Thanks to Dan Whitworth for identifying himself in pictures C20 and C21 and Tom Sanderson in C18.

UPDATE 07/24/2010: – Ed Nizyborski’s son Stephen Nizyborski has identified himself in pictures C18, C19, and C26.

UPDATE 02/24/2010: Dawn Greil says the long-haired young guy in C18 &C19 is definitely NOT Steve Stockbarger. Bill Lund says it’s Ed Nizyborski’s son but he can’t recall his name. Does anyone know his name?

UPDATE 02/02/2010: Additional identifications on C18 and C19 from Richard Butner (via Jackie Estrada), and on C02 and C03 from Bill Lund, Jean Peacock Graham, and Karen Schnaubelt Turner Dick.

UPDATE 02/01/2010: Additional identifications on C10 and C27 from Jackie Estrada, and on C08, C10, and C27 from Bill Lund.

UPDATE 01/30/2010: Some more people have been identified in the photos thanks to the help of Mark Evanier, David Scroggy, Wendy All, Charlie Roberts, Robert Beerbohm, Greg Koudoulian, and Sean Kleefeld.

(Click on a “thumbnail” image below to view the full-size image. At the bottom of the full-size image will be a caption with some arrows on either side that you can click to view the next or previous image. You might have to scroll the display down a little for the caption and arrows to show. Click on the full-size image to close it. Alternatively, for the maximum view, right-click the thumbnail image, select to view it in a new window, then click on the newly-displayed image to “zoom” to maximum size.)

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Dan Whitworth September 13, 2012 at 6:13 pm

The person kneeling in C18 is named Tom Sanderson. He was a Serra Mesa collector who later sold me a big chunk of his Spider-Man collection. The kid behind David Cody Weiss’ right shoulder in C20 and C21 (or left, from the photog’s viewpoint) is me. Pretty sure that’s my “Holy crap, that’s Neal Adams!” face. Thanks for putting these up.

William R. Lund February 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm

The young man in C18 & C19 is Ed Nizyborski’s son, but I can’t recall his name. Any such info on file in Comic-Con archives?

Stephen July 24, 2010 at 6:57 am

Wow- that’s me in C18, C19, and C26 – Ed’s son – Stephen Nizyborski. Great pics!

Jackie Estrada February 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Butner tells me that the guy with the long hair in C18 and C19 is Steve Stockbarger.

Dawn Greil February 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Sorry but the dude in C18 &C19 is definitely NOT Steve Stockbarger. Same color hair but otherwise looks nothing like him. (Steve is in C02 though.)

Jackie Estrada February 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

C10–Could that be Don Rico next to Jack Kirby?

C27–I’m pretty sure that’s Jamie Hanrahan.

I’ve sent the link to Butner to see if he can fill in some holes.

GREG KOUDOULIAN January 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Rick Durrell was a very big collector. He had Superman family complete,
Action and Superman complete. He worked at either the Standard Oil or Chevron refinery in the LA, San Pedro or Long Beach area. He was really a
Kool and fun guy. Also had a beautiful family. Much older than I, when we
first met. Later became a big brother figure. Very very informative, intelligent and ofcourse modest as well. Sorry to say he is no longer with us.

GREG KOUDOULIAN January 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm

The man with Rick Durrell, is an old friend of mine, Chuck McCleary.
He is retired and living in Dana Point. He use to own Nostalgia Merchant
Poster store In LA, near the corner of venice and sepulveda blvd.

Robert Beerbohm January 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm

C12 – the big guy making change to Jack Kirby is New Yorker Phil Seuling

Robert Beerbohm January 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm

C34 – guy on left is noted collector Rick Durell; the other fellow i know, another comics collector – his name eludes me right now – i think he still comes to Comicon even

Robert Beerbohm January 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm

change that c-34 to C40 and 41

Yup, the one guy is Rick Durell,
the other guy will come to me….
can i blame it on the meds………?

Mark Evanier January 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

C32 is Mike Royer.

Mark Evanier January 29, 2010 at 12:26 pm

The person with Neal Adams in c28 and c29 is not Roger Price. I think (but am not sure) it’s either John McGeehan or his brother, Tom McGeehan.

Mark Evanier January 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

The person to the right of Neal Adams in C08 is Mike Friedrich.

Mark Evanier January 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

The person next to Neal Adams in C17 and C21 is (I think) David Cody Weiss.

Mark Evanier January 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm

The person next to Bob Clampett in C34 and C35 is Milt Gray.

SKleefeld January 29, 2010 at 9:29 am

The gent sitting next to Neal Adams in C28 and C29 looks to me like it might be Roger Price. I didn’t know Roger back then and haven’t seen any pictures of him from that time period to confirm, but it sure looks like him to me! Roger would later found Mid-Ohio-Con in 1980.